The Last Guardian, 2012 PS3 GOTY Or Disappointment
The Last Guardian has had a storied history since it was initially announced, but it appears that 2012 is the year that it will finally hit the Sony PS3. Are we looking at a game of the year candidate, or a disappointment?
We have seen it before, games have been given so much hype and anticipation that there is simply no way they could ever live up the expectations set before them by gamers and the media alike.
One perfect example of this is the original Fable, which had so many expectations placed around it that there was no way it could ever deliver on such a wide scale.
The Last Guardian was announced back in 2009 as the latest effort by Team Ico, and was the spiritual successor to Ico, a cult classic on PS2.
The Last Guardian is a third-person adventure title from Team Ico and creator Fumito Ueda, who described the game as one which would be up for interpretation from a story perspective.
The game will have gamers controlling an unarmed boy who can run, jump, and do all sort of maneuvers, a la Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.
The environment will be your friend, and early indications have shown that the PS3 hardware will certainly be put to work with some amazing landscapes to explore.
The game was originally scheduled for release in 2011, but was announced later in the year that 2011 was simply not realistic.
The game has been bumped to a 2012 release, and its creator Fumito Ueda has since left Sony.
The creator has stated he will work to finish the game before leaving for good, but one has to think how this will impact its overall direction.
In 2011, the game was made available to play, at least one level of it was, but since then the game has been pretty much off-limits to the press from a gameplay perspective.
We will have to wait and see what comes out of E3 2012, as the hope is that more will be learned about The Last Guardian.
The game is starting to get delays though to the point where the expectations may become too lofty. This one could easily be a game of the year candidate in 2012, but there are still too many unknowns.
- Radical Entertainment Puts Biological Outbreak Control in a Box - PROTOTYPE(R) 2 Blackwatch Collector's Edition Confirmed
- Rockstar Games: Asked and Answered Part 2/Max Payne 3
- SUMTHING ELSE MUSIC WORKS RELEASES RESISTANCE 3 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK
- Order Up!! to be Delivered to PlayStation 3 system on February 28th
- Get Ready to Lick the Competition with Girl Fight, Coming Soon to PSN
- No Need to Feel Blue, The Power of the Azure is here! - PS3
- Worms Ultimate Mayhem Out This Week on PlayStation Store!
- Grab Your Light (Shot)Gun! SEGA Launches The House of the Dead 3 for PlayStation Network
- Your Move - UFC Undisputed 3 Available Now at Retail Outlets Throughout North America
- Rockstar Games: Asked and Answered Max Payne 3, GTA V
- Batman Arkham City Cheat Codes For PS3 Revealed
- Uncharted Drake's Deception Cheat Codes Revealed
- New Devil May Cry Gameplay Video Now Available
- The Amazing Spider-Man Returns to New York City
- Wanted Corp. available now on PlayStation Network
- How To Get Your PS3 To Run Linux, Free Apps
- New Update for Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
- Battlefield Set To Be Unleashed As A Free PS3 Game
- King of Fighters '96 PS3 Review
- Metal Slug 2 PS3 Review
- How To Get A PlayStation Network Card
- Dead Rising 2 Off The Record Cosplay Warrior Costume and Skills Pack Now Available
- Turtle Beach's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Limited Edition Headset Line Widely Available by October 25th
- PS3 On-Screen Keyboard - Code Released by Blipi for Developers
- Holy Hand Grenade Batman! Arkham Asylum Controllers at GamingZap!
- XtendPlay Ergonomic Adaptors for PS3 & Xbox 360 Controllers Now in Stock at GamingZap!
- Brand New XCM Products at GamingZap
- Limited Edition Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Gaming Eyewear Revealed by GUNNAR Optiks
- Mad Catz Announces New Range of Licensed Major League Gaming Professional Video Game Controllers
- Nyko Zoom for Kinect Gets North American Price and Release Date