Sony Will Pay Devs for PSN Exclusivity
In the high-stakes world of console marketing, nothing is quite as attractive as a hit exclusive game to drive hardware sales. Of course, manufacturers like Sony and Microsoft realize this, and they are willing to do almost anything to nab exclusive games or downloadable content for their respective platforms. From a software developer’s perspective, money talks. That’s why having a large installed base and a willingness to pony up the cash has done favors for Microsoft and its Xbox 360.
But now, Sony has declared a willingness to back up its aspirations for exclusive content with cold, hard cash. Its Pub Fund, just announced today, will match developer funding for exclusive games headed to the PSN. The first game to take advantage of this 50/50 funding scheme is Burn Zombie Burn!
Chris Eden, development relations manager for Sony told an audience at the Game Developers Conference today that his company is excited to support development of exclusive content on the PSN.
"It's all very well for us as platform holders to say 'put all your money into PlayStation Network, it's a fantastic idea', but are we prepared to put or money where our mouth is? The answer is yes. We're looking for a number of great games, and in return for exclusivity we'll match your development budget with guaranteed royalties.”
We applaud Sony for its forward-thinking strategy. Sure, Microsoft can spend the big bucks on console exclusives, but it is important not to forget the importance of smaller, breakout hits on the download service. As digital distribution becomes ever more popular, snagging distribution deals with indie development houses will become even more important to differentiate the Sony brand.
Burn Zombie Burn! By Doublesix Games, is one of the first titles to benefit from Sony's Pub Fund.
- Radical Entertainment Puts Biological Outbreak Control in a Box - PROTOTYPE(R) 2 Blackwatch Collector's Edition Confirmed
- Rockstar Games: Asked and Answered Part 2/Max Payne 3
- SUMTHING ELSE MUSIC WORKS RELEASES RESISTANCE 3 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK
- Order Up!! to be Delivered to PlayStation 3 system on February 28th
- Get Ready to Lick the Competition with Girl Fight, Coming Soon to PSN
- No Need to Feel Blue, The Power of the Azure is here! - PS3
- Worms Ultimate Mayhem Out This Week on PlayStation Store!
- Grab Your Light (Shot)Gun! SEGA Launches The House of the Dead 3 for PlayStation Network
- Your Move - UFC Undisputed 3 Available Now at Retail Outlets Throughout North America
- Rockstar Games: Asked and Answered Max Payne 3, GTA V
- Batman Arkham City Cheat Codes For PS3 Revealed
- Uncharted Drake's Deception Cheat Codes Revealed
- New Devil May Cry Gameplay Video Now Available
- The Amazing Spider-Man Returns to New York City
- Wanted Corp. available now on PlayStation Network
- How To Get Your PS3 To Run Linux, Free Apps
- New Update for Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
- Battlefield Set To Be Unleashed As A Free PS3 Game
- King of Fighters '96 PS3 Review
- Metal Slug 2 PS3 Review
- How To Get A PlayStation Network Card
- Dead Rising 2 Off The Record Cosplay Warrior Costume and Skills Pack Now Available
- Turtle Beach's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Limited Edition Headset Line Widely Available by October 25th
- PS3 On-Screen Keyboard - Code Released by Blipi for Developers
- Holy Hand Grenade Batman! Arkham Asylum Controllers at GamingZap!
- XtendPlay Ergonomic Adaptors for PS3 & Xbox 360 Controllers Now in Stock at GamingZap!
- Brand New XCM Products at GamingZap
- Limited Edition Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Gaming Eyewear Revealed by GUNNAR Optiks
- Mad Catz Announces New Range of Licensed Major League Gaming Professional Video Game Controllers
- Nyko Zoom for Kinect Gets North American Price and Release Date