WipEout HD Review
What does one do with twenty bucks given from grandma? Well, purchase WipEout HD (PSN) for $19.99 on the PlayStation Store, as I did! After downloading the gig of high-definition entertainment, I installed this futuristic racing experience on my 80 gig PS3 and prepared myself for some high-speed racing!
Upon immersing myself into the intro of 1080p beauty, I selected my vehicle for the event and readied myself for fast, blazing action! The camera panned my racing ship then finalized itself behind this speedster. Staring directly at me was the countdown, 3-2-1! I slammed on the "gas" and was quickly disappointed at the rate of speed. By lap two, I was already lapped by all 7 competitors, leaving me in 8th place! I thought I was doing something wrong? I returned to the menu, reselected the fastest spec ship, and raced again. I managed to achieve third place after a few failed attempts. However, for those who don't fail at racing in a futuristic bullet ship are rewarded with trophies! Ensure you read what accomplishments are rewarded to winners who can hopefully sport a WipEout HD Trophy in the soon-to-be released PlayStation "Home."
- Radical Entertainment Puts Biological Outbreak Control in a Box - PROTOTYPE(R) 2 Blackwatch Collector's Edition Confirmed
- Rockstar Games: Asked and Answered Part 2/Max Payne 3
- SUMTHING ELSE MUSIC WORKS RELEASES RESISTANCE 3 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK
- Order Up!! to be Delivered to PlayStation 3 system on February 28th
- Get Ready to Lick the Competition with Girl Fight, Coming Soon to PSN
- No Need to Feel Blue, The Power of the Azure is here! - PS3
- Worms Ultimate Mayhem Out This Week on PlayStation Store!
- Grab Your Light (Shot)Gun! SEGA Launches The House of the Dead 3 for PlayStation Network
- Your Move - UFC Undisputed 3 Available Now at Retail Outlets Throughout North America
- Rockstar Games: Asked and Answered Max Payne 3, GTA V
- Batman Arkham City Cheat Codes For PS3 Revealed
- Uncharted Drake's Deception Cheat Codes Revealed
- New Devil May Cry Gameplay Video Now Available
- The Amazing Spider-Man Returns to New York City
- Wanted Corp. available now on PlayStation Network
- How To Get Your PS3 To Run Linux, Free Apps
- New Update for Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
- Battlefield Set To Be Unleashed As A Free PS3 Game
- King of Fighters '96 PS3 Review
- Metal Slug 2 PS3 Review
- How To Get A PlayStation Network Card
- Dead Rising 2 Off The Record Cosplay Warrior Costume and Skills Pack Now Available
- Turtle Beach's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Limited Edition Headset Line Widely Available by October 25th
- PS3 On-Screen Keyboard - Code Released by Blipi for Developers
- Holy Hand Grenade Batman! Arkham Asylum Controllers at GamingZap!
- XtendPlay Ergonomic Adaptors for PS3 & Xbox 360 Controllers Now in Stock at GamingZap!
- Brand New XCM Products at GamingZap
- Limited Edition Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Gaming Eyewear Revealed by GUNNAR Optiks
- Mad Catz Announces New Range of Licensed Major League Gaming Professional Video Game Controllers
- Nyko Zoom for Kinect Gets North American Price and Release Date
Besides the lackluster speed, however, are the mind-bending tracks. These tracks are no cityscape or nascar style race. WipEout's race tracks have roller-coaster-like loops, jumps, and minor obstacles. Each track can be raced in both the forward and reversed orientation.
One of the minor obstacles standing between racers and the finish line is WipEout HD's weaponry. From missiles, shields, and speed boosts - one has to not only deal with the layout of the track, but a racers arsenal! One cool weapon is the bomb. The bomb lashes an enormous wave on the track resembling the blowing wave action from the chopper crash in The Matrix. You remember the scene where the helicopter hit the side of the glassed panel building and ripples of waves went outward? Yeah! WipEout's bomb mimics this Matrix effect!
While racing, one immediately notices the impeccable game detail. The 60fps creates a smooth, non-judder race! Colors are vivid and vibrant in it's 1080p resolution! WipEout HD retains an electro soundtrack. If you're experiencing the amazing picture quality on a compatible HD television, let's hope you are equally enjoying the soundtrack in it's 5.1 encode.
What about bugs? As Our Chief Editor Kris Erickson previously reported there are minor bugs within the game. I experienced two bugs. Initially beginning the game, I was asked if I would like a "run-through" of how the game operates. I selected yes, but the game proceeded to skip the run-through function. The other bug was a lockup here-and-there after finishing races or fiddling with the replay camera functions. The company, as Kris reported, claims these bugs are from an excess of online friends. Mind you, I only have one online friend.
In closing, WipEout HD's speed is no match to the "burnout" speed of Burnout Paradise, as one has to rely heavily on pivotal boosting marks and steering control. A competitor will need time to readjust their racing tactics if they're used to sheer speed from self-boosts rather than WipEout's given boost marks. The graphics are impeccable with 1080p picture and boasts 60fps. Plenty of racing options from tournaments and quick races to unlockable tracks and vehicles. So will grandma's money be spent well? I'd say so! Despite the minor bugs, If you enjoy vibrant worlds, mind-bending race tracks, and a bumping electro soundtrack WipEout HD is for you!
Developer: SCEE Studio Liverpool
Release Date: 25 September 2008
Pros: Image resolution, soundtrack, reversible tracks, and weapons.
Cons: Not immediate fast-paced racing, requires readjusting from standard racing tactics.
PS3 Informer Rating: 4.0 stars out of 5