Yakuza Series Goes Portable With Project K
Yakuza is to Japan what the Grand Theft Auto series has been to America and Europe. The hit Japanese console game allows player to take on the role of a Yakuza gangster, experiencing the ups and downs of one of the most feared professions in the land of the rising sun. Cleaning the streets of rival thugs, avoiding the mostly incompetent police, gambling and working menial jobs, the life of a low-level Yakuza is anything but boring. The series has been slow to make it to the West on consoles, but Sega has brought over the first three installments to moderate levels of success on our side of the Pacific. Hopefully the game will eventually generate the kind of massive fan base it deserves in America, but cultural differences and niche appeal might be holding it back.
Now, the successful franchise is headed to a new platform -- Sony's PSP. This actually makes a lot of sense given the astounding popularity of the Playstation Portable in Japan. Project K takes place in Kamurocho, the same city as previous Yakuza games. The PSP game will feature an 18-year-old Tatsuya Ukyou as the protagonist, who must work his way up in the organization by proving his toughness in the streets.
The game is definitely getting as much support as the console entries have from Sega: long time series director Toshihiro Nagoshi will return to develop Yakuza: Project K on the PSP. Yakuza: Project K is due to release on the PSP in Japan this fall 2010.
One of the first screenshots we have for Yakuza: Project K on the PSP suggests that the game will look fantastic.
[Source: PSP World]
- Radical Entertainment Puts Biological Outbreak Control in a Box - PROTOTYPE(R) 2 Blackwatch Collector's Edition Confirmed
- Rockstar Games: Asked and Answered Part 2/Max Payne 3
- SUMTHING ELSE MUSIC WORKS RELEASES RESISTANCE 3 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK
- Order Up!! to be Delivered to PlayStation 3 system on February 28th
- Get Ready to Lick the Competition with Girl Fight, Coming Soon to PSN
- No Need to Feel Blue, The Power of the Azure is here! - PS3
- Worms Ultimate Mayhem Out This Week on PlayStation Store!
- Grab Your Light (Shot)Gun! SEGA Launches The House of the Dead 3 for PlayStation Network
- Your Move - UFC Undisputed 3 Available Now at Retail Outlets Throughout North America
- Rockstar Games: Asked and Answered Max Payne 3, GTA V
- Batman Arkham City Cheat Codes For PS3 Revealed
- Uncharted Drake's Deception Cheat Codes Revealed
- New Devil May Cry Gameplay Video Now Available
- The Amazing Spider-Man Returns to New York City
- Wanted Corp. available now on PlayStation Network
- How To Get Your PS3 To Run Linux, Free Apps
- New Update for Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
- Battlefield Set To Be Unleashed As A Free PS3 Game
- King of Fighters '96 PS3 Review
- Metal Slug 2 PS3 Review
- How To Get A PlayStation Network Card
- Dead Rising 2 Off The Record Cosplay Warrior Costume and Skills Pack Now Available
- Turtle Beach's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Limited Edition Headset Line Widely Available by October 25th
- PS3 On-Screen Keyboard - Code Released by Blipi for Developers
- Holy Hand Grenade Batman! Arkham Asylum Controllers at GamingZap!
- XtendPlay Ergonomic Adaptors for PS3 & Xbox 360 Controllers Now in Stock at GamingZap!
- Brand New XCM Products at GamingZap
- Limited Edition Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Gaming Eyewear Revealed by GUNNAR Optiks
- Mad Catz Announces New Range of Licensed Major League Gaming Professional Video Game Controllers
- Nyko Zoom for Kinect Gets North American Price and Release Date