Watchmen: The End Is Nigh Preview
The upcoming Watchmen film has created quite a stir among lovers of the comic book genre. The original Watchmen graphic novels are a beloved series for comic fans, and the upcoming feature film by director Zack Snyder (300) looks set to impress.
Fanboys are a little bit less enthusiastic about the video game adaptation of the movie, currently underway at Warner Brothers Interactive. We know what you are thinking: every other film-to-video game project since Goldeneye has sucked, so why should this one be any different? Last year’s utterly bad Ironman video game is still very much burned in our Pavlovian memories. After having taken a closer look at Watchmen: The End is Nigh for the Playstation 3 however, we have reason to be optimistic.
Just don’t expect anything too cerebral: The action-focused video game acts as the prequel to the story in the Watchmen novels and movie. The game will take place one decade before the action of the film to flesh out the relationship between vigilantes Rorschach and Nite Owl, as they beat down the bad guys in 1972. According to the developers, The End is Nigh will be all about “bloody visceral combat”.
Just like arcade beat-em-ups of yore, The End is Nigh also features multiplayer cooperative play, so a friend can get in on the action and play the role of the second vigilante in all of the campaign missions.
The two characters will play and fight very differently, just like they do in the film. Rorschach is more of a hand-to-hand fighter, who will dispatch foes with pure brawn. He has a rage meter that, when filled, allows him to dish out the violence in orgiastic abundance. Nite Owl is a bit less aggressive, preferring to use his brain just as often as his fists. His meter fills up a shock armor attack that can paralyze and subdue enemies in proximity to him when activated. In a cool twist, the game will actually change its visual look depending on which character you select.
Unlike traditional film-to-game releases, The End is Nigh will be released episodically over Xbox Live and PSN. Unlike typical episodic games, however, the production values and polish present in the Watchmen game will be on par with a retail release. We aren’t sure why the publisher has decided to go the episodic route, but perhaps it has something to do with matching the release window of the film, whish is set for early 2009.
- Radical Entertainment Puts Biological Outbreak Control in a Box - PROTOTYPE(R) 2 Blackwatch Collector's Edition Confirmed
- Rockstar Games: Asked and Answered Part 2/Max Payne 3
- SUMTHING ELSE MUSIC WORKS RELEASES RESISTANCE 3 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK
- Order Up!! to be Delivered to PlayStation 3 system on February 28th
- Get Ready to Lick the Competition with Girl Fight, Coming Soon to PSN
- No Need to Feel Blue, The Power of the Azure is here! - PS3
- Worms Ultimate Mayhem Out This Week on PlayStation Store!
- Grab Your Light (Shot)Gun! SEGA Launches The House of the Dead 3 for PlayStation Network
- Your Move - UFC Undisputed 3 Available Now at Retail Outlets Throughout North America
- Rockstar Games: Asked and Answered Max Payne 3, GTA V
- Batman Arkham City Cheat Codes For PS3 Revealed
- Uncharted Drake's Deception Cheat Codes Revealed
- New Devil May Cry Gameplay Video Now Available
- The Amazing Spider-Man Returns to New York City
- Wanted Corp. available now on PlayStation Network
- How To Get Your PS3 To Run Linux, Free Apps
- New Update for Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
- Battlefield Set To Be Unleashed As A Free PS3 Game
- King of Fighters '96 PS3 Review
- Metal Slug 2 PS3 Review
- How To Get A PlayStation Network Card
- Dead Rising 2 Off The Record Cosplay Warrior Costume and Skills Pack Now Available
- Turtle Beach's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Limited Edition Headset Line Widely Available by October 25th
- PS3 On-Screen Keyboard - Code Released by Blipi for Developers
- Holy Hand Grenade Batman! Arkham Asylum Controllers at GamingZap!
- XtendPlay Ergonomic Adaptors for PS3 & Xbox 360 Controllers Now in Stock at GamingZap!
- Brand New XCM Products at GamingZap
- Limited Edition Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Gaming Eyewear Revealed by GUNNAR Optiks
- Mad Catz Announces New Range of Licensed Major League Gaming Professional Video Game Controllers
- Nyko Zoom for Kinect Gets North American Price and Release Date