You know a game is good when you're supposed to write a preview for it yet can't seem to tear yourself away from your game system. Such was the case with Uncharted. How many times exactly did I play it? I don’t know. I lost count. All I know is that I dreamt about Uncharted and come Nov 19th (or 15th if some rumors are true) this game’ll be in my PS3. (Sorry COD4, but I will return)
The demo beings with Drake and Elena heading towards an island. Their plane gets shot down and they parachute to safety. The graphics in Uncharted are nothing short of fantastic. The PS3 really brings the lush jungle scenery to life and the team goes light on the bloom (Guess I can stop wearing my shades while playing) but the real treat is the characters. He stumbles, winces as bullets fly by him, his clothes get wet when he’s in water. Even the characters themselves seem so life-like that I half expect to see them while walking down the street. (Yes, I go outside. Not too often though cause the sun is a little too bright.) It’s these little nuances that really bring Drake’s Fortune to life.
The gameplay is everything you could want. It combines the exploration aspect of adventure games with gun-play similar to titles like Rainbow 6 and Gears of War. You jumps, climbs up walls and ancient architecture, just like you would in any other platform. (Tomb Raider comes to mind) If you get stuck, the L2 button will pop-up and give you a hint as to how to continue on. Whereas for the combat, you’ll be spending a lot of time taking cover behind an object, peeking out to take pot-shots at your foes. The AI is relentless. Take cover without firing at them for too long and they’ll flank you, which isn’t a good thing, unless you fancy looking at Drake die in black and white. If the enemies get to close, you can melee them for an instant kill. Though this may sound cheap in writing, in practice it’s a gamble because your enemies aren’t going to wait for you to beat up their buddy to shoot you. The balance between platforming and fighting is perfectly balanced and you never feel like you’re spending too much time doing either.
Uncharted is shaping up to be the most refreshing title coming out for the PS3 this year and it’s definitely one game that PS3 fans can enjoy bragging about.
Update: Euro and Japan PS3 owners, feel free to download the demo from the PS store. Sony has fixed the region lock problem.
- Radical Entertainment Puts Biological Outbreak Control in a Box - PROTOTYPE(R) 2 Blackwatch Collector's Edition Confirmed
- Rockstar Games: Asked and Answered Part 2/Max Payne 3
- SUMTHING ELSE MUSIC WORKS RELEASES RESISTANCE 3 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK
- Order Up!! to be Delivered to PlayStation 3 system on February 28th
- Get Ready to Lick the Competition with Girl Fight, Coming Soon to PSN
- No Need to Feel Blue, The Power of the Azure is here! - PS3
- Worms Ultimate Mayhem Out This Week on PlayStation Store!
- Grab Your Light (Shot)Gun! SEGA Launches The House of the Dead 3 for PlayStation Network
- Your Move - UFC Undisputed 3 Available Now at Retail Outlets Throughout North America
- Rockstar Games: Asked and Answered Max Payne 3, GTA V
- Batman Arkham City Cheat Codes For PS3 Revealed
- Uncharted Drake's Deception Cheat Codes Revealed
- New Devil May Cry Gameplay Video Now Available
- The Amazing Spider-Man Returns to New York City
- Wanted Corp. available now on PlayStation Network
- How To Get Your PS3 To Run Linux, Free Apps
- New Update for Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
- Battlefield Set To Be Unleashed As A Free PS3 Game
- King of Fighters '96 PS3 Review
- Metal Slug 2 PS3 Review
- How To Get A PlayStation Network Card
- Dead Rising 2 Off The Record Cosplay Warrior Costume and Skills Pack Now Available
- Turtle Beach's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Limited Edition Headset Line Widely Available by October 25th
- PS3 On-Screen Keyboard - Code Released by Blipi for Developers
- Holy Hand Grenade Batman! Arkham Asylum Controllers at GamingZap!
- XtendPlay Ergonomic Adaptors for PS3 & Xbox 360 Controllers Now in Stock at GamingZap!
- Brand New XCM Products at GamingZap
- Limited Edition Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Gaming Eyewear Revealed by GUNNAR Optiks
- Mad Catz Announces New Range of Licensed Major League Gaming Professional Video Game Controllers
- Nyko Zoom for Kinect Gets North American Price and Release Date