Top 5 Fighting Games for 2008 (Year of the Fighter)
Welcome to the year of the Fighter! This great genre was almost lost 15 years ago, when at its peak, the most popular fighters were Street Fighter II (1991) and Mortal Kombat II (1993). So why did the genre disappear and what resurrected it?
As graphics and technology advanced, developers shifted from two-dimensional (2D) to three-dimensional (3D) worlds. Fighters, such as Tekken and Mortal Kombat, adapted to this new movement, but didn't succeed. What succeeded in the 3D transformation were side-scrollers (Mario), shooters (James Bond 007), and role playing games (Final Fantasy). Developers were excited by the realm they could create with 3D worlds, which put the finishing moves on fighters. As the years continued to bring us in-depth, 3D gaming the gameplay actually became complex with every single button used on the controller. Due to the complexity of gameplay, extravagant 3D worlds along with today's society: a culture with Ritalin children, girls on-the-go, and men shooting Starbucks into their veins our attention span is definitely shorter, which welcomed the new genre of "casual games."
- Radical Entertainment Puts Biological Outbreak Control in a Box - PROTOTYPE(R) 2 Blackwatch Collector's Edition Confirmed
- Rockstar Games: Asked and Answered Part 2/Max Payne 3
- SUMTHING ELSE MUSIC WORKS RELEASES RESISTANCE 3 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK
- Order Up!! to be Delivered to PlayStation 3 system on February 28th
- Get Ready to Lick the Competition with Girl Fight, Coming Soon to PSN
- No Need to Feel Blue, The Power of the Azure is here! - PS3
- Worms Ultimate Mayhem Out This Week on PlayStation Store!
- Grab Your Light (Shot)Gun! SEGA Launches The House of the Dead 3 for PlayStation Network
- Your Move - UFC Undisputed 3 Available Now at Retail Outlets Throughout North America
- Rockstar Games: Asked and Answered Max Payne 3, GTA V
- Batman Arkham City Cheat Codes For PS3 Revealed
- Uncharted Drake's Deception Cheat Codes Revealed
- New Devil May Cry Gameplay Video Now Available
- The Amazing Spider-Man Returns to New York City
- Wanted Corp. available now on PlayStation Network
- How To Get Your PS3 To Run Linux, Free Apps
- New Update for Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
- Battlefield Set To Be Unleashed As A Free PS3 Game
- King of Fighters '96 PS3 Review
- Metal Slug 2 PS3 Review
- How To Get A PlayStation Network Card
- Dead Rising 2 Off The Record Cosplay Warrior Costume and Skills Pack Now Available
- Turtle Beach's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Limited Edition Headset Line Widely Available by October 25th
- PS3 On-Screen Keyboard - Code Released by Blipi for Developers
- Holy Hand Grenade Batman! Arkham Asylum Controllers at GamingZap!
- XtendPlay Ergonomic Adaptors for PS3 & Xbox 360 Controllers Now in Stock at GamingZap!
- Brand New XCM Products at GamingZap
- Limited Edition Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Gaming Eyewear Revealed by GUNNAR Optiks
- Mad Catz Announces New Range of Licensed Major League Gaming Professional Video Game Controllers
- Nyko Zoom for Kinect Gets North American Price and Release Date
Casual gaming simplifies gameplay while maintaining entertainment and stunning graphics. (Who remembers the day of just A, B, Start, and Select?) Casual gaming proved a fast and growing success, so it would make sense this new genre initiated the rebirth of the fighter. After-all, the fighter genre gameplay is simple relative to casual games. A player can button mash to win the battle, but the skillful who's crafted their combos and finishing moves will ultimately survive.
This year is the year of the fighter! The best fighting franchises are returning to the consoles by the end of the year*, so here is our list of the must-have, top five fighters for 2008.
Top 5 Fighters for 2008
#5 Street Fighter Alpha (PSN) available now
A nice hold-me-over until Street Fighter IV is released in 2009. This edition introduced new fighting styles and characters: Charlie, Rose, and Dan. At this point, the original "hold-me-over" title SFII: HD Remix is pretty much pointless.
#4 Tekken 6 (PS3) available 11/25/2008
An original 3D fighter! Fans love it because of the physical mechanics over the fireballs and teleportations. Six installments deserves a mention on the list.
#3 Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii) available now
Nintendo's best mash-up! Snake vs Mario! Are you kidding? We're in!
#2 Soul Calibur (PS3 / X360) available now
This is a solid weapons fighter. Soul Calibur introduces new characters from outside franchises every installment and this is no exception with the introduction of sci-fi geeks favorites: Darth Vader and Yoda.
#1 Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe (PS3 / X360) available 11/10/2008
Oh hell yeah! MORTAL KOMBAT! Get over here! Finish him! Fatality! Enough said? Sorry DC Universe, you got some deadly fighters to battle! Round 1, fight!
*Note: Street Fighter IV didn't make the cut due to it's February 2009 release.