Tomb Raider Underworld Technically Superior on PS3
In a stunning reversal, multiplatform release Tomb Raider Underworld runs at a higher resolution on the PS3 console than it does on the Xbox 360. With many other multiplatform releases, the PS3 version has been the weakest of the two (for example see recent titles Grand Theft Auto IV and Fallout 3). Even more surprising is that the Xbox 360 was apparently the lead development platform for this game.
The major difference between the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of Tomb Raider: Underworld is the resolution. On the Xbox, the game is rendered at 576p with 2x anti-aliasing enabled. On the PS3, the game runs at the significantly higher resolution of 720p with the same 2x anti-aliasing present. In still screenshots of the game, the PS3 version does show a noticeably higher resolution. Check out the following two shots, comparing the “jaggies” around Lara Croft’s face.
While some viewers may not notice these differences on a normal HD television screen, true cinema buffs will be happy to know that the PS3 version is visually crisper than the 360 version.
Will 2009 see a continuation of this trend? Many observers believe that with development studios climbing the steep learning curve of PS3 development, 2009 could see some amazing graphical advances from the system. After all, the games that we saw at the end of the PS2 era were leaps and bounds ahead of the launch titles, which look crude by today’s standards.
- Radical Entertainment Puts Biological Outbreak Control in a Box - PROTOTYPE(R) 2 Blackwatch Collector's Edition Confirmed
- Rockstar Games: Asked and Answered Part 2/Max Payne 3
- SUMTHING ELSE MUSIC WORKS RELEASES RESISTANCE 3 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK
- Order Up!! to be Delivered to PlayStation 3 system on February 28th
- Get Ready to Lick the Competition with Girl Fight, Coming Soon to PSN
- No Need to Feel Blue, The Power of the Azure is here! - PS3
- Worms Ultimate Mayhem Out This Week on PlayStation Store!
- Grab Your Light (Shot)Gun! SEGA Launches The House of the Dead 3 for PlayStation Network
- Your Move - UFC Undisputed 3 Available Now at Retail Outlets Throughout North America
- Rockstar Games: Asked and Answered Max Payne 3, GTA V
- Batman Arkham City Cheat Codes For PS3 Revealed
- Uncharted Drake's Deception Cheat Codes Revealed
- New Devil May Cry Gameplay Video Now Available
- The Amazing Spider-Man Returns to New York City
- Wanted Corp. available now on PlayStation Network
- How To Get Your PS3 To Run Linux, Free Apps
- New Update for Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
- Battlefield Set To Be Unleashed As A Free PS3 Game
- King of Fighters '96 PS3 Review
- Metal Slug 2 PS3 Review
- How To Get A PlayStation Network Card
- Dead Rising 2 Off The Record Cosplay Warrior Costume and Skills Pack Now Available
- Turtle Beach's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Limited Edition Headset Line Widely Available by October 25th
- PS3 On-Screen Keyboard - Code Released by Blipi for Developers
- Holy Hand Grenade Batman! Arkham Asylum Controllers at GamingZap!
- XtendPlay Ergonomic Adaptors for PS3 & Xbox 360 Controllers Now in Stock at GamingZap!
- Brand New XCM Products at GamingZap
- Limited Edition Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Gaming Eyewear Revealed by GUNNAR Optiks
- Mad Catz Announces New Range of Licensed Major League Gaming Professional Video Game Controllers
- Nyko Zoom for Kinect Gets North American Price and Release Date
[Source: Beyond 3D]