The Rise of Mobile Gaming
Recently, we've noticed that many established console franchises are being ported over to mobile devices. Can console favorites really transition successfully to tinier screens? The answer is yes! Already, popular titles like "Assassin's Creed" and "Need for Speed" are available with high customer reviews. The two devices leading the mobile gaming platform are Apple's iPhone & iPod Touch.
Apple's iPhone & iPod Touch are unrivaled to competing MP3 players and cell phones. Contributing to their "touching" success is the flawless ecosystem between portable device and convenient online shopping experience via iTunes Store; key component for American immediacy - the "I want it now" mentality.
Within nine months, Apple achieved their one billionth downloaded application via App Store. Here at GameFlavor, we've monitored a growing trend of well-known developers steadily porting console hits onto iTunes App Store. Also, developers of any programming skill may contribute their creativity to App Store via Apple's Developer's Program. Of course, Apple receives 30% of sales. However, this nominal fee hasn't prevented EA, Gameloft, Capcom, Konami, or Namco from porting hits onto the mobile market.
With console games porting onto mobile devices, tinier screens doesn't hinder gameplay. All aspects of console games from graphics to soundtrack fluidly transition with minimal degrade in quality. Keep in mind, iPhone & iPod Touch are not miniature PS3 or XBOX 360. Some games opt customized soundtracks by listening to iPod Library, instead of in-game soundtrack.
And despite iPhone & iPod Touch lacking tactile support, innovative input responses: finger gestures, shaking, and microphone incorporation have proven effective. Plus, Apple's upcoming 3.0 software update permits developers to access previous locked 16-pin dock connector for add-on accessories. This upcoming feature allows possibility for a control pad, as demonstrated by iControlPad. [video]
Without tactile control equivalent to PSP buttons or DS stylus, iPhone & iPod Touch simplicity of finger gestures and shakes maintains a pleasant gaming experience from casual gaming to ambitious titles of "Assassin's Creed." Clearly, iPhone & iPod Touch are becoming a threat to both Sony's PSP and Nintendo's DS for portable gaming authority. Will the rumored PSP Go at E3 2009 change the game to Sony's favor? Can the DS maintain supremacy in the portable gaming community? Or has Apple already won? Share your thoughts in the below comments section.
We compiled a list of ported favorites and titles similar to consoles hits in parenthesis. "Lite" versions are free demos and unknown availability. Prices may change at developers discretion. If you recommend or discover any other titles, include title and link in our forums.
Resident Evil: Degeneration $6.99
- Radical Entertainment Puts Biological Outbreak Control in a Box - PROTOTYPE(R) 2 Blackwatch Collector's Edition Confirmed
- Rockstar Games: Asked and Answered Part 2/Max Payne 3
- SUMTHING ELSE MUSIC WORKS RELEASES RESISTANCE 3 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK
- Order Up!! to be Delivered to PlayStation 3 system on February 28th
- Get Ready to Lick the Competition with Girl Fight, Coming Soon to PSN
- No Need to Feel Blue, The Power of the Azure is here! - PS3
- Worms Ultimate Mayhem Out This Week on PlayStation Store!
- Grab Your Light (Shot)Gun! SEGA Launches The House of the Dead 3 for PlayStation Network
- Your Move - UFC Undisputed 3 Available Now at Retail Outlets Throughout North America
- Rockstar Games: Asked and Answered Max Payne 3, GTA V
- Batman Arkham City Cheat Codes For PS3 Revealed
- Uncharted Drake's Deception Cheat Codes Revealed
- New Devil May Cry Gameplay Video Now Available
- The Amazing Spider-Man Returns to New York City
- Wanted Corp. available now on PlayStation Network
- How To Get Your PS3 To Run Linux, Free Apps
- New Update for Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
- Battlefield Set To Be Unleashed As A Free PS3 Game
- King of Fighters '96 PS3 Review
- Metal Slug 2 PS3 Review
- How To Get A PlayStation Network Card
- Dead Rising 2 Off The Record Cosplay Warrior Costume and Skills Pack Now Available
- Turtle Beach's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Limited Edition Headset Line Widely Available by October 25th
- PS3 On-Screen Keyboard - Code Released by Blipi for Developers
- Holy Hand Grenade Batman! Arkham Asylum Controllers at GamingZap!
- XtendPlay Ergonomic Adaptors for PS3 & Xbox 360 Controllers Now in Stock at GamingZap!
- Brand New XCM Products at GamingZap
- Limited Edition Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Gaming Eyewear Revealed by GUNNAR Optiks
- Mad Catz Announces New Range of Licensed Major League Gaming Professional Video Game Controllers
- Nyko Zoom for Kinect Gets North American Price and Release Date