Red Dead Redemption Trailer Shows Serious Side
If there was any lingering doubt about Rockstar's desire to move video games forward as a genre, this new trailer should silence them. As with GTA IV, many fans will likely be unhappy about the serious turn the developer seems to have taken with Red Dead Redemption. After all, the first game was far from a realistic depiction of life in the old west. At one point in that game, your character does battle with a band of circus freaks!
The new game not only follows the narrative maturity of Grand Theft Auto IV but it also uses the same graphics engine. This choice seems like a good one: light and shadows are quite well done, while horses and people are accurately rendered. The effect of the engine is less focused on hyperreal details, and more on mood and atmosphere, making it perfectly suited to a Western game.
Compared with Red Dead Revolver, we now have a real western in the tradition of more mature films like Once Upon a Time in the West. In Redemption, players will take the reins of notorious outlaw John Marston and attempt to navigate a world in flux, caught between the lawless west and the expanding reach of government order.
It is hard to be disappointed with the way things are going: the trailer looks and sounds spectacular. We welcome Rockstar's newfound attention to narrative, and we look forward to seeing how this story plays out when we finally get our hands on the game.
- Radical Entertainment Puts Biological Outbreak Control in a Box - PROTOTYPE(R) 2 Blackwatch Collector's Edition Confirmed
- Rockstar Games: Asked and Answered Part 2/Max Payne 3
- SUMTHING ELSE MUSIC WORKS RELEASES RESISTANCE 3 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK
- Order Up!! to be Delivered to PlayStation 3 system on February 28th
- Get Ready to Lick the Competition with Girl Fight, Coming Soon to PSN
- No Need to Feel Blue, The Power of the Azure is here! - PS3
- Worms Ultimate Mayhem Out This Week on PlayStation Store!
- Grab Your Light (Shot)Gun! SEGA Launches The House of the Dead 3 for PlayStation Network
- Your Move - UFC Undisputed 3 Available Now at Retail Outlets Throughout North America
- Rockstar Games: Asked and Answered Max Payne 3, GTA V
- Batman Arkham City Cheat Codes For PS3 Revealed
- Uncharted Drake's Deception Cheat Codes Revealed
- New Devil May Cry Gameplay Video Now Available
- The Amazing Spider-Man Returns to New York City
- Wanted Corp. available now on PlayStation Network
- How To Get Your PS3 To Run Linux, Free Apps
- New Update for Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
- Battlefield Set To Be Unleashed As A Free PS3 Game
- King of Fighters '96 PS3 Review
- Metal Slug 2 PS3 Review
- How To Get A PlayStation Network Card
- Dead Rising 2 Off The Record Cosplay Warrior Costume and Skills Pack Now Available
- Turtle Beach's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Limited Edition Headset Line Widely Available by October 25th
- PS3 On-Screen Keyboard - Code Released by Blipi for Developers
- Holy Hand Grenade Batman! Arkham Asylum Controllers at GamingZap!
- XtendPlay Ergonomic Adaptors for PS3 & Xbox 360 Controllers Now in Stock at GamingZap!
- Brand New XCM Products at GamingZap
- Limited Edition Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Gaming Eyewear Revealed by GUNNAR Optiks
- Mad Catz Announces New Range of Licensed Major League Gaming Professional Video Game Controllers
- Nyko Zoom for Kinect Gets North American Price and Release Date