New Call of Duty 5 Trailer Returns to WWII Setting: Our Thoughts
Yesterday, Activision released a teaser trailer showing off some of the new settings and action from Treyarch's upcoming installment of the Call of Duty Franchise. The clip shows off some of the weapons and environments that players will face this time around. Many gamers and fan blogs reacted negatively to the new trailer, suggesting that the WWII theme is overdone and that the developers should have continued the evolution of the series that took place with the recent COD4. Check out the trailer, as well as our thoughts on the not-so-new direction the company has taken with the franchise.
First of all, it is hard to deny that the action and environments shown in the trailer look awesome. The narration and images shown during cutscenes seem to capture the horrific brutality of the Pacific theater quite well, and the brief clips we have seen so far give us high hopes for a superb single-player campaign. The fluidity and realism of character animations in particular left us feeling impressed.
Is the WWII theme really overdone? Undoubtedly there are a lot of strong contenders in the genre competing for gamers' attention, but the Call of Duty franchise has always delivered one of the strongest gameplay experiences in the pack, and is arguably the best console WWII shooter franchise around. There are still a lot of improvements that can be made to the formula, in terms of realism, physics, AI and multiplayer modes. If Treyarch can bring some creative new ideas to the genre, there is no reason why we won't be eager to enlist when COD 5 comes calling later this year.
- Radical Entertainment Puts Biological Outbreak Control in a Box - PROTOTYPE(R) 2 Blackwatch Collector's Edition Confirmed
- Rockstar Games: Asked and Answered Part 2/Max Payne 3
- SUMTHING ELSE MUSIC WORKS RELEASES RESISTANCE 3 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK
- Order Up!! to be Delivered to PlayStation 3 system on February 28th
- Get Ready to Lick the Competition with Girl Fight, Coming Soon to PSN
- No Need to Feel Blue, The Power of the Azure is here! - PS3
- Worms Ultimate Mayhem Out This Week on PlayStation Store!
- Grab Your Light (Shot)Gun! SEGA Launches The House of the Dead 3 for PlayStation Network
- Your Move - UFC Undisputed 3 Available Now at Retail Outlets Throughout North America
- Rockstar Games: Asked and Answered Max Payne 3, GTA V
- Batman Arkham City Cheat Codes For PS3 Revealed
- Uncharted Drake's Deception Cheat Codes Revealed
- New Devil May Cry Gameplay Video Now Available
- The Amazing Spider-Man Returns to New York City
- Wanted Corp. available now on PlayStation Network
- How To Get Your PS3 To Run Linux, Free Apps
- New Update for Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
- Battlefield Set To Be Unleashed As A Free PS3 Game
- King of Fighters '96 PS3 Review
- Metal Slug 2 PS3 Review
- How To Get A PlayStation Network Card
- Dead Rising 2 Off The Record Cosplay Warrior Costume and Skills Pack Now Available
- Turtle Beach's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Limited Edition Headset Line Widely Available by October 25th
- PS3 On-Screen Keyboard - Code Released by Blipi for Developers
- Holy Hand Grenade Batman! Arkham Asylum Controllers at GamingZap!
- XtendPlay Ergonomic Adaptors for PS3 & Xbox 360 Controllers Now in Stock at GamingZap!
- Brand New XCM Products at GamingZap
- Limited Edition Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Gaming Eyewear Revealed by GUNNAR Optiks
- Mad Catz Announces New Range of Licensed Major League Gaming Professional Video Game Controllers
- Nyko Zoom for Kinect Gets North American Price and Release Date