Best PS3 Games of 07
2007 was a rough year for the PS3. It was slow getting out the gate and a lot of awesome titles were pushed back to late 07 and 08. Even after being hammered by the competition in the beginning of the year, the black box just refused to stay down and ended up finishing 2007 a lot stronger than most of us anticipated. If you’re a PS3 owner, here’s the Must Have games of the year. (No, Lair isn’t on the list. Neither is Kane and Lynch since Eidos doesn’t want to pony up the money.)
For the first 6 months of the PS3's life we experienced a dearth of quality titles as the system was plagued with terrible ports and with more movie based games than any carbon life form should have to endure. There were only games worth owning was Resistance and Motorstorm. Motorstorm was the first racing game, outside of Mario Kart, that I actually purchased at full price and, at the time, it was somewhat expensive for what you got. You could count the number of tracks available on two hands and there was no split-screen multi player whatsoever (Inexcusable). However the online was fun, assuming you had friends with PS3s. But these past few months, we’ve seen a lot of Motorstorm content that sure to please fans. Lets just hope that when the second game rolls out in 09 and there’s more content on the actual disk.
This is clearly one of the best online games I’ve played. Why? Because it’s one of the few that actually allowed me and my friends (yes, PS3 owners have friends) to jump online on one console. My gripe with the game is that there’s very little chatting going on, due to the fact that you have to hold down the trigger to talk. Inconvenient but me and my pals were good enough to bring home the win, even without the help of the cannon fodder we had for teammates.
Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Ratchet and Clank combines my love of Pixar movies with the most creative weapons ever thought up outside of the military.With plenty of tongue-in-cheek humor and great game play, the only fault this game has is the fact that Insomniac nixed the online, something that had become a staple in R&C games. The graphics are fantastic and really makes good on the potential of the PS3 and this is just in its first year.
Call of Duty 4
I’ve already praised Call of Duty 4 into the far reaches of outer space in my review. If you can only buy one game this year, You’d be insane to go with anything other than COD4. (This message is not sponsored by Infinity Ward....even though we wish it were.)
Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune
Prior to the release of Uncharted, I was beginning to lose hope in Naughty Dog. Jak and Daxter was just a fantastic games but the sequels on PS2 just didn’t resonate the same quirky spirit that the original had. ND ditched their familiar duo and instead focused their energy on a new character and I couldn’t be more pleased with them. Combining elements from Gears of War and Tomb Raider into an enjoyable game, you’d have to be a retarded monkey on stupid pills to have not played this game.
Unreal Tournament 3
If you’re part of the group who believe that shooters have become too complex and pine for the good ol days of fraggin fun then UT3 is the game for you. This game has evolved very little since 2004, which could be a good or bad thing, depending on how much you enjoyed the previous Unreal Tournament game. Also, the mod support is currently online. Now if only we could get a Blood Gulch map up and running.
Portal (and the rest of the Orange Box too, I guess)
Playing around with physics and portals has never been more fun. With an original concept and some hilarious dialogue, Portal itself is worth the $60 price tag of admission. Team Fortress also offers some great team game play (emphasis on the team) and if you’ve never played any of the Half-Life 2 games, then you really need to pick up The Orange Box. Sure, it’s an EA port, but the small hiccups in OB have been greatly exaggerated and it’s still a solid title that’s worthy of your green.
Ninja Gaiden Sigma - Even 3 years after its initial release, Ninja Gaiden is still a great game. There’s not a whole lot of new content here for people who’ve already played the previous two versions, but if you’ve never played Ninja Gaiden before, it’s a great time to pick up a copy. Now hurry up with the sequel already!
Heavenly Sword - Not quite the God of War epic we were expecting but still an enjoyable game with top-notch graphics and a great story to tell. It makes the wait for God of War 3 a little less painful.
Resistance - Yes, this game wasn’t technically released in 2006 but for our fans in EU and the “Others” territory it is. Sony consoles have rarely had good titles to launch with and Resistance deserves some props for being one of the best launch games I’ve played on any console. With an interesting alternate history story and 40 player online matches, this Insomniac title seems to have gathered a larger following than the lombax and dragon had on previous Playstation consoles. We would have no problem nominating this game as one of the best PS3 titles for 2007 but we kinda already did that....last year. That said, we can’t wait to see how great Resistance Rise of Man 2: Super Awesome Edition will be.
“How come you didn’t nominate________ (Rock Band, Guitar Hero 3, Assassin’s Creed, etc)?" The reason for this is because I hated it. (Assuming you’re talking about Lair.) Actually, it’s not because we wanted to limit ourselves to X number of titles but rather because we never received any review or preview builds of those titles. It wouldn’t be fair to you readers if we put games on the list we’ve never played and it wouldn’t be fair to the all the publishers who gave us these games to review. Angry? So are we! Write a letter to the publishers and demand that they send their games for us. There might be even a little something special for you in this.
- Radical Entertainment Puts Biological Outbreak Control in a Box - PROTOTYPE(R) 2 Blackwatch Collector's Edition Confirmed
- Rockstar Games: Asked and Answered Part 2/Max Payne 3
- SUMTHING ELSE MUSIC WORKS RELEASES RESISTANCE 3 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK
- Order Up!! to be Delivered to PlayStation 3 system on February 28th
- Get Ready to Lick the Competition with Girl Fight, Coming Soon to PSN
- No Need to Feel Blue, The Power of the Azure is here! - PS3
- Worms Ultimate Mayhem Out This Week on PlayStation Store!
- Grab Your Light (Shot)Gun! SEGA Launches The House of the Dead 3 for PlayStation Network
- Your Move - UFC Undisputed 3 Available Now at Retail Outlets Throughout North America
- Rockstar Games: Asked and Answered Max Payne 3, GTA V
- Batman Arkham City Cheat Codes For PS3 Revealed
- Uncharted Drake's Deception Cheat Codes Revealed
- New Devil May Cry Gameplay Video Now Available
- The Amazing Spider-Man Returns to New York City
- Wanted Corp. available now on PlayStation Network
- How To Get Your PS3 To Run Linux, Free Apps
- New Update for Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
- Battlefield Set To Be Unleashed As A Free PS3 Game
- King of Fighters '96 PS3 Review
- Metal Slug 2 PS3 Review
- How To Get A PlayStation Network Card
- Dead Rising 2 Off The Record Cosplay Warrior Costume and Skills Pack Now Available
- Turtle Beach's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Limited Edition Headset Line Widely Available by October 25th
- PS3 On-Screen Keyboard - Code Released by Blipi for Developers
- Holy Hand Grenade Batman! Arkham Asylum Controllers at GamingZap!
- XtendPlay Ergonomic Adaptors for PS3 & Xbox 360 Controllers Now in Stock at GamingZap!
- Brand New XCM Products at GamingZap
- Limited Edition Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Gaming Eyewear Revealed by GUNNAR Optiks
- Mad Catz Announces New Range of Licensed Major League Gaming Professional Video Game Controllers
- Nyko Zoom for Kinect Gets North American Price and Release Date