3D Dot Game Heroes Preview
Up until now, parodies of video games have remained quite rare. And that's too bad, because we have a long and rich history of titles to comically skewer. Perhaps no other genre leaves itself more open to mocking than the role playing game, with its tight pants, impossibly long 'swords', bad hair and equally comical dialog. Along comes 3D Dot Game Heroes, which could be considered the 'Scary Movie' of role playing games. Every fan favorite from the ages is represented here, and even some obscure gems fall victim to the merciless satire. 3D Dot Game Heroes is expected to release in North America on May 11th, 2010, but we've dug up all the details we could find about this promising PS3 exclusive game.
The story behind 3D Dot Game Heroes is an amalgam of many previous RPG plot lines. A little bit of Final Fantasy, a strong helping of Dragon Warrior, and two dashes of Zelda have been used to flavor the broth. A long, long time ago, the Dark King Onyx brought an age of darkness upon Dotnia Kingdom. Only by the bravery of a hero with a legendary sword was Onyx sealed in an orb, restoring peace to the world. Along with peace came a graphical enhancement -- Dotnia sprung from its 2D shackles to be rendered in full 3D glory. Everything was great until Fuelle, a powerful Dark Bishop, stole the orb containing the Dark King. Now, Dotnia requires a hero once more, a role that the player is predictably eager to fill.
It is important to talk about the visuals, because that is a major part of the charm behind 3D Dot Game Heroes. The developers wanted to retain that retro feel in all aspects of the adventure, but still update the engine to take advantage of all that silicon inside the Playstation 3. The result is a world that looks as if it were an 8-bit game come to life. Characters and environments are blocky -- constructed from individual square pixels -- but they move and interact in completely 3D space. A nice depth-of-field effect also adds to the realism of this decidedly retrograde world. Music is also inspired by the favorites of old -- essentially 8-bit instrumental tracks that worm their way into your brain as you wander the wastes slaying monsters.
3D Dot Game Heroes plays like an action RPG, rather than a turn-based affair. Enemies are fought directly on the world map, and striking a critical blow will send them bursting apart in a shower of pixels. The effect, along with the visuals more generally, are reminiscent of the LEGO series of adventure games.
The main weapon available to the player is his sword, which will deal extra damage when the player's health bar is full. It can also be heavily upgraded over the course of the game by way of leveling up. Other weapons besides magic that are available to the player include bows and boomerangs (did we mention the influence of Zelda yet?).
Japanese critics who have played the game generally liked it. Famitsu lauded 3D Dot Game Heroes for its awesome visuals and attention to history. However, a few reviewers have quibbled that because the title is more of an homage to the RPG genre, it doesn't break any significant new ground in terms of innovation. Still, if you love classic JRPGs as much as we do, you are probably counting the days until the game's English language release in May. To ensure you get a copy of what could be a relatively obscure game, make sure to pre-order it. Amazon currently has 3D Dot Game Heroes priced at $36.99
Official Dot Game Heroes English Trailer (HD)
3D Dot Game Heroes Features
* Ultimate retro love letter -- Seamlessly fusing new and old, the golden era of gaming is felt in every detail of this lovingly-crafted adventure. Eye-popping visuals capture the nostalgic charm of pixel graphics in cutting edge 3D. Simple, but deep action-adventure gameplay is a throwback to the 8-bit era. Veterans will find references and jokes that pay homage to the great games of yore.
* Awe and adventure live again -- Embark on the next generation of classic exploration and discovery in a grand story-based quest. A hero sets out to gain the power of the six sages and the six orbs that protected the kingdom of Dotnia, which now stands on the verge of destruction.
* Customize your hero - When pixels are your building blocks, the possibilities are unlimited. Freely edit the look of your character, or design one completely from scratch, and then trade designs with friends via a compatible USB storage device. Your hero's blade is also upgradeable, letting you add length and width to create a sword that fills the whole screen!
- Radical Entertainment Puts Biological Outbreak Control in a Box - PROTOTYPE(R) 2 Blackwatch Collector's Edition Confirmed
- Rockstar Games: Asked and Answered Part 2/Max Payne 3
- SUMTHING ELSE MUSIC WORKS RELEASES RESISTANCE 3 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK
- Order Up!! to be Delivered to PlayStation 3 system on February 28th
- Get Ready to Lick the Competition with Girl Fight, Coming Soon to PSN
- No Need to Feel Blue, The Power of the Azure is here! - PS3
- Worms Ultimate Mayhem Out This Week on PlayStation Store!
- Grab Your Light (Shot)Gun! SEGA Launches The House of the Dead 3 for PlayStation Network
- Your Move - UFC Undisputed 3 Available Now at Retail Outlets Throughout North America
- Rockstar Games: Asked and Answered Max Payne 3, GTA V
- Batman Arkham City Cheat Codes For PS3 Revealed
- Uncharted Drake's Deception Cheat Codes Revealed
- New Devil May Cry Gameplay Video Now Available
- The Amazing Spider-Man Returns to New York City
- Wanted Corp. available now on PlayStation Network
- How To Get Your PS3 To Run Linux, Free Apps
- New Update for Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
- Battlefield Set To Be Unleashed As A Free PS3 Game
- King of Fighters '96 PS3 Review
- Metal Slug 2 PS3 Review
- How To Get A PlayStation Network Card
- Dead Rising 2 Off The Record Cosplay Warrior Costume and Skills Pack Now Available
- Turtle Beach's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Limited Edition Headset Line Widely Available by October 25th
- PS3 On-Screen Keyboard - Code Released by Blipi for Developers
- Holy Hand Grenade Batman! Arkham Asylum Controllers at GamingZap!
- XtendPlay Ergonomic Adaptors for PS3 & Xbox 360 Controllers Now in Stock at GamingZap!
- Brand New XCM Products at GamingZap
- Limited Edition Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Gaming Eyewear Revealed by GUNNAR Optiks
- Mad Catz Announces New Range of Licensed Major League Gaming Professional Video Game Controllers
- Nyko Zoom for Kinect Gets North American Price and Release Date